Area Bordering Glacier National Park
The Flathead National Forest extends 120 miles south of the US/Canadian border and totals 2.3 million acres of glacier-sculpted forest bordering Glacier National Park.
Other Glacier Park related pages
National Forests and Wilderness Areas
A million acres of the forest is designated as part of the National Wilderness Preservation System (comprising the Bob Marshall, Great Bear and Mission Mountain Wilderness). The forest also plays host to the Flathead Wild and Scenic River, Jewel Basin Hiking Area and Coram Experimental Forest. Recreational facilities are available throughout the Flathead National Forest which is mostly open to motorized vehicles in all but the above protected areas.
Hungry Horse Dam
The Hungry Horse Dam is located 15 miles south of the west entrance to Glacier National Park and provides power and flood control to the local area. It is currently the tenth highest dam in the US, but was the second highest upon its construction in 1953. It remains the highest spillway of its type throughout the world. The reservoir it creates is fed by the South Fork of the Flathead River and is 34 miles long providing recreational facilities for fishing, boating, water skiing and swimming.
Featured Gateway to Glacier National Park related businesses
- Glacier Distilling Company - Craft distillery producing an array of whiskeys made from local Montana grains and brandy distilled...MORE INFO
- Glacier Guides and Montana Raft - Glacier Guides and Montana Raft is celebrating its 35th year of guiding Glacier National Park...MORE INFO
- Glacier Highland Resort - Lodging, provisions and hospitality at the gates of Glacier National Park For over 30 years, the...MORE INFO
- Glacier Raft Company - As the oldest rafting company in Montana, we've specialized in family whitewater adventures on the...MORE INFO
- Great Northern Whitewater - At Great Northern Whitewater, located just a mile from the West Glacier entrance to Glacier...MORE INFO
- Historic Tamarack Lodge - Situated in a scenic mountain valley in the midst of the Montana Rockies, the Historic Tamarack...MORE INFO
- Izaak Walton Inn - Alongside the south side of Glacier National Park, the resort features a variety of summer and...MORE INFO
- Swan Mountain Snowmobiling - Swan Mountain Snowmobiling, located in the heart of Glacier Country, provides the best...MORE INFO
- Dollar Rent A Car - Dollar Rent A Car has the ability to meet your needs anywhere in the...MORE INFO
- Flathead Anglers & Wild River Adventures - Since 1985 we have been outfitting whitewater rafting and guided fishing trips on the Middle Fork...MORE INFO