Seasons of Glacier National Park area
Whatever the season, full services are always available in the Gateway to Glacier communities giving visitors to the area the chance to experience the beauty of every season.
Other Glacier Park related pages
Summer brings clear blue skies, warm days and cool nights. There is nothing like stargazing while toasting s'mores around a Montana campfire...they don't call it Big Sky country for nothing! Camp, fish, hike, explore to your heart's content or simply laze the day away floating down the river. There are recreation opportunities to suit all tastes, age and ability. Accommodation varies from the campsites and railway lodges inGlacier National Park to RV parks, motel accommodation, cozy bed and breakfasts and individual cabins in the Gateway communities. Take your pick for a vacation tailored to your own needs.
Glacier National Park is alive with activity at this time of the year and offers a multitude of Ranger-led activities, demonstrations and exhibits throughout the Park.
The Flathead National Forest offers more trails on which to hike and explore. View the peaks of Glacier National Park from the summit of Desert Mountain; test your mountain biking skills, swim in the local Lion Lake (a great place for family picnics) or fish at Devil's Elbow below the Hungry Horse Dam. Do not forget huckleberry picking!
Fall in Glacier National Park brings a slower pace and is a great time for hiking amongst Fall colors and curling up by the fire to enjoy the cooler nights. The lakes are glassy and still, reflecting the red, gold and ochre of the changing foliage and snow-capped mountain peaks. This time of year offers great photo opportunities and hunting with experienced local outfitters.
Winter in the Glacier National Park area is an experience not to be missed. A true Winter Wonderland, let yourself sparkle on the slopes of Whitefish Mountain or Blacktail Ski Resorts, snowshoe or cross country ski to appreciate the peace and tranquility of the snow-covered landscape, or fuel your adrenalin with a high speed snowmobile excursion.
There are many ranger-led activities within Glacier National Park along with opportunities for snowshoeing and cross-country skiing. At this time of year the Gateway communities really come into their own offering accommodation, dining, entertainment and recreational activities when the Park campgrounds and summer-season lodges are closed.
Experience the Christmas 'Night of Lights' in Columbia Falls, join in the fun at February's Cabin Fever Days, or simply curl up in front of a log fire and watch the snowfall.
Spring soon comes around again and the snowmelt affords rafters the high-water adventure of a lifetime. The whole area comes back to life as the snow line recedes. Wildlife emerges from Winter hibernation and the cycle begins again.
Which Glacier National Park and Gateway events and seasons are you missing out on?!
For general park information such as maps, Web cams and bear safety information,
check the following park Internet links to help you find answers to your questions:
Bear information: http://www.nps.gov/glac/planyourvisit/bears.htm
Featured Gateway to Glacier National Park related businesses
- Glacier Highland Resort - Lodging, provisions and hospitality at the gates of Glacier National Park For over 30 years, the... MORE INFO
- Glacier Park International Airport - Glacier Park International Airport Airline Code: FCA Airport ID: GPI www.iflyglacier.com... MORE INFO
- Glacier Raft Company - As the oldest rafting company in Montana, we've specialized in family whitewater adventures on the... MORE INFO
- Glacier Symphony and Chorale - Northwest Montana's award-winning symphony and chorale perform classical, holiday, and pops... MORE INFO
- Great Northern Whitewater - At Great Northern Whitewater, located just a mile from the West Glacier entrance to Glacier... MORE INFO
- Historic Tamarack Lodge - Situated in a scenic mountain valley in the midst of the Montana Rockies, the Historic Tamarack... MORE INFO
- Hockaday Museum of Art - The Hockaday Museum of Art is a fine arts museum, housed in a turn-of-the-century Carnegie Library... MORE INFO
- Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites - Kalispell - The hotel offers 30 2-room suites with wet bar, in addition to 81 standard rooms. With an upscale... MORE INFO
- Howe's Fishing / A Able Charters - Ice Fishing - Ice Fishing: Howe's Fishing/A Able Fishing Charters offers ice fishing in modern times.... MORE INFO
- Howe's Fishing / A Able Charters -Fishing - Whether it's fishing Flathead Lake, Montana for trophy Lake Trout (mackinaw), touring Flathead Lake... MORE INFO
- Imagination Station Toys - Classic Toys you loved as a child. Toys that teach and toys that are just plain FUN! Games,... MORE INFO
- Izaak Walton Inn - Alongside the south side of Glacier National Park, the resort features a variety of summer and... MORE INFO
- Kalispell Regional Healthcare - 310 Sunnyview Lane Kalispell, MT 59901 (406) 752-5111 Located in the heart of Northwestern... MORE INFO
- La Quinta Inn & Suites - Located in Kalispell, the hub of Montana's Flathead Valley, La Quinta Inn & Suites offers the... MORE INFO
- Lakeside Somers Chamber of Commerce - Lakeside and Somers are nestled on the northwest shores of pristine Flathead Lake at the base of... MORE INFO
- Locations Montana Real Estate - Locations Montana Real Estate offers you the best resources for real estate industry related... MORE INFO
- Many Springs Flathead Lake Resort - Family owned & operated, intimate lakefront extended stay resort with 12 spacious units in... MORE INFO
- Miracle of America Museum - KID FRIENDLY and reasonable.The largest & most diversified in the state. Over 70 antique... MORE INFO
- Mo Fisch Charters - Fishing charters on Flathead Lake and Lake Kookanusa.... MORE INFO
- Motel 6 - All Motel 6 locations offer a list of outstanding hotel amenities; Kids Stay Free, Pets Welcome,... MORE INFO
- Mountain Lake Lodge - Spectacular views of Flathead Lake in Northwest Montana, the Bigfork Mountain Lake Lodge Hotel... MORE INFO
- Museum at Central School - The Museum is housed in the historic Central School building, which first opened its doors in... MORE INFO
- Northern Rockies Outfitters - In addition to guided fly fishing trips, we offer full service float trips, hiking and horseback... MORE INFO
- Northwest Montana Wedding & Event Professionals - Hire with confidence! Locate the best caterers, photographers, florists, planners, lodging and... MORE INFO
- Pointer Scenic Cruises - Pointer Scenic Cruises offers licensed and insured custom charter tours on Flathead Lake and to... MORE INFO
- Polson Chamber of Commerce - ... MORE INFO
- Rocky Mountain Bank - Rocky Mountain bank is a full-service community bank. We have always been passionate about... MORE INFO
- Sea Me Paddle Kayaking Tours - Sea Me Paddle offers guided sea kayaking tours along with kayak and stand up paddleboard rentals on... MORE INFO
- Summit Preparatory School - Summit Preparatory School is an accredited private non-profit therapeutic boarding school... MORE INFO
- Swan Mountain Snowmobiling - Swan Mountain Snowmobiling, located in the heart of Glacier Country, provides the best... MORE INFO
- The Outlaw Inn - The Outlaw Inn & Suites feature 230 beautifully appointed rooms of spacious comfort, located... MORE INFO
- Timbers Motel - A 40-room unique motel nestled in the timbers, three blocks from the Bigfork Village. This... MORE INFO
- Village Greens Golf Course - Village Greens Golf Club is home to some of the finest course conditions in the Flathead... MORE INFO
- Western Outdoor - Western Outdoor is a family clothing store offering boots, hats and clothing for the entirefamily. ... MORE INFO
- Wild Trout Adventures - Wild Trout Adventures is your source fishing around Glacier National Park. We are located in... MORE INFO
- WildHorse Island Boat Trips - Schedule your WildHorse Island Boat Trips™for a Picnic, Hike or Close up Viewing of Big Horn... MORE INFO
- America's Best Value Inn Port Polson Inn - A quaint hotel on the south end of Flathead lake with amazing... MORE INFO
- Artemis Acres Paint Horse Ranch - Artemis Acres Guest Ranch is a Western lodging and horseback riding facility nestled in the... MORE INFO
- Averill's Flathead Lake Lodge - Flathead Lake Lodge is a historic third generation family run and operated Guest Ranch located in... MORE INFO
- Avis Rent a Car - Avis makes it easier to travel the roads of Montana. We're located at the Glacier International... MORE INFO
- Best Western Plus Flathead Lake Inn & Suites - Centrally located near Flathead Lake, Bigfork, Kalispell and Lakeside, the Flathead Lake Inn &... MORE INFO
- Bigfork Area Chamber of Commerce - Beautiful resort town on Flathead Lake. Recreation for everyone, art galleries, fine dining, live... MORE INFO
- Bigfork Center for the Performing Arts Foundation - The Bigfork Center for the Performing Arts houses the Bigfork Summer Playhouse during the months of... MORE INFO
- Bigfork Summer Playhouse - The Bigfork Summer Playhouse will celebrate its 57th Season of live professional theatre in 2016.... MORE INFO
- Buffalo Hill Golf Club - Montana golf can best be experienced by golfing twenty-seven holes at Buffalo Hill. The beauty and... MORE INFO
- Candlewycke Inn B&B - Lodge style B&B secluded on 10 wooded acres just minutes away from Flathead Lake, Glacier... MORE INFO
- Celebrate Event & Party Rental - At Celebrate Event & Party Rentals, every event is a big event. Whether it’s a 1,000... MORE INFO
- Crown of the Continent Guitar Foundation - Play with & learn from the world's greatest guitarists & teachers The Crown of the... MORE INFO
- Dayton Yacht Harbor - Dayton Yacht Harbor is a one hundred slip full-service marina in the small town of Dayton on the... MORE INFO
- Dollar Rent A Car - Dollar Rent A Car has the ability to meet your needs anywhere in the... MORE INFO
- Edgewater RV Resort and Motel - Seasonal RV park, including fully furnished cabins and condo rooms. Motel with 12 rooms lakeside.... MORE INFO
- Flathead Anglers & Wild River Adventures - Since 1985 we have been outfitting whitewater rafting and guided fishing trips on the Middle Fork... MORE INFO
- Flathead Beacon - The Flathead Beacon Weekly Newspaper: 13,000 copies are printed & distributed... MORE INFO
- Flathead Lake Brewing Co. - The Flathead Lake Brewing Company started in 2004 in Woods Bay, a small community five miles... MORE INFO
- Flathead Lake Charters - Flathead Lake Charters offers half day, full day and twilight fishing charters - everything... MORE INFO
- Flathead Lake Monster Charters - Experience Counts Captain Tim Shattuck "The Mac Killer" has been fishing... MORE INFO
- Flathead National Forest - In the heart of the Rocky Mountains, west of the continental divide and just south of the... MORE INFO
- Flathead Travel Service - Flathead Travel Service is Montana's largest and most respected Full Service Travel Agency. Travel... MORE INFO
- Glacier Bank - ... MORE INFO
- Glacier Distilling Company - Craft distillery producing an array of whiskeys made from local Montana grains and brandy distilled... MORE INFO
- Glacier Guides and Montana Raft - Glacier Guides and Montana Raft is celebrating its 35th year of guiding Glacier National Park... MORE INFO