West shore of Flathead Lake, MT
The first general store, built in 1900, and other historic buildings are still in use by Sliters' Hardware. Today, visitors can enjoy excellent restaurants, studios and galleries, and historic sites in this town of 556 residents. The town has beautiful lake views and ospreys can be sighted nearby along the north shore of the lake during the summer months. A swimming beach, a boat launch and a yacht club surround Somers Bay and offer access to water sports and lake adventures.
South of Somers is Lakeside, which sits along the northwest shore of Flathead Lake at the base of downhill ski area, which provides great downhill skiing as well as cross-country skiing and snowshoeing in the surrounding forest land. The town of Lakeside has several small shops, bakeries, cafes and restaurants.
Before the 1900s, the town of Lakeside was called “Stoner” after John Stoner, the first postmaster, who built and operated a hotel where the creek that still bears his name flows into Flathead Lake. The name was later changed to “Chautauqua,” then “Lacon,” and finally, to “Lakeside” in 1920. In early years, Flathead Lake was an important part of the trade route from Missoula to Canada, and steamers made regular stops in Lakeside with passengers and freight. Today, the town’s population is 1,679.
Continuing south on the west shore of the lake, visitors will reach Dayton, where consistent winds make a perfect location for sailing for both new and experienced sailors.
Dayton is also a perfect spot to embark for a trip to Wild Horse Island, a 2,200-acre primitive state park that is home to bald eagles, osprey, big horn sheep, deer and wild horses. Six miles to the west of Dayton is Lake Mary Ronan, a small, picturesque lake known for its great fishing year-round.
Featured West Shore of Flathead Lake related businesses
- Dayton Yacht Harbor - Dayton Yacht Harbor is a one hundred slip full-service marina in the small town of Dayton on the... MORE INFO
- Edgewater RV Resort and Motel - Seasonal RV park, including fully furnished cabins and condo rooms. Motel with 12 rooms lakeside.... MORE INFO
- Flathead Lake Monster Charters - Experience Counts Captain Tim Shattuck "The Mac Killer" has been fishing... MORE INFO
- Lakeside Somers Chamber of Commerce - Lakeside and Somers are nestled on the northwest shores of pristine Flathead Lake at the base of... MORE INFO
- Mo Fisch Charters - Fishing charters on Flathead Lake and Lake Kookanusa.... MORE INFO
- Sea Me Paddle Kayaking Tours - Sea Me Paddle offers guided sea kayaking tours along with kayak and stand up paddleboard rentals on... MORE INFO